How long your teeth stay white and bright following a teeth whitening treatment depends on a number of factors. Some of these include:
- Which type of whitening treatment you choose
- Your lifetime habits
- Your home hygiene habits
- Your professional cleaning routine
While no whitening treatment can offer permanent results, the results can last from several months up to a year or more.
You can increase the duration of your results by:
- Using professional, in-office treatments
- Having a cleaning before your whitening treatment
- Consuming less coffee, tea, red wine, and other dark, staining foods and beverages
- Not smoking
- Brushing twice each day using good technique
You can maintain your whitening results with Opalescence Go. This professional whitening option uses preloaded trays that adjust to fit your teeth, making whitening convenient – no matter how busy your life gets!
Dr. Compton can recommend a touch-up schedule for you so your smile can stay youthful and healthy looking. Retouching every six months is usually sufficient for most people.
We don’t recommend drugstore teeth whitening kits to try to extend your results. These products don’t have the same strength as professional products, so you won’t get the same results. Additionally, many types of whiteners sold in drug and grocery stores rely on abrasive ingredients that can damage your enamel.